The Eastmont Branch opened on the corner of Parker and MacArthur Blvd in 1945. In 1983, the Baymont and Eastmont branches were consolidated in a 500-square foot kiosk in the Eastmont Mall. With a growing clientele, a full service, 9500 Square foot branch opened in The Eastmont Town Center on October 5, 1998. The collection includes 65,000 volumes, including reference and circulating titles of general interest to all ages. Highlights include a Career section, African American studies, English as a Second Language, and Spanish language materials.
Recently, Eastmont was a site for OPL’s early literacy grant from First Five Alameda County, and has also hosted weekly art classes with the Museum of Children’s Art (MOCHA). Eastmont was also the center of operations for the oral history project “East Oakland Stories,” funded by a “California of the Past” grant from the Media Arts Center of San Diego. The videos that resulted from this project can be see here.